Accomplishments as Director of Pioneer Band and Jazz Program
- Increased enrollment in program from 25 students to over 60 in three years.
- Expanded number of student ensembles through the addition of the Jazz Combo program.
- Expanded performance opportunities including Jazz Café nights, Coffeehouse performances, Annual Sweet Jazz Fundraiser, Music In Our Schools Month Concert, MICCA Festival and yearly performance tours.
- Planned and coordinated trips for the band program, including Chicago, Nashville and New Orleans.
- Implemented Annual Awards Ceremony to recognize outstanding achievement in the Band Program.
- Introduced Smart Music software (www.smartmusic.com) to the program in order to improve student achievement and overall performance level.
- Developed and implemented a leadership curriculum for students in leadership positions in the program. This included creating student leadership positions, development of leadership curriculum and spending time with students during the summer and on weekends to implement this curriculum.
- Initiated the Lynnfield High School Band Boosters organization, a group of parents who have supported the purchase and repair of instruments, funded clinics for students and led public awareness campaigns regarding the value of music in our schools.
- Served as cooperating teacher for three student teachers from Berklee College of Music. One of these student teachers was named the Massachusetts Music Educators Association Promising Future Music Educator.
- Initiated discussions with Superintendent to improve band program, resulting in increased collaboration with the Lynnfield Middle School Music Teacher.
- Effectively completed administrative tasks such as creating budgets, ordering uniforms, coordinating buses for events, preparing students for All-District auditions and working with administration on scheduling issues.
- Worked with colleagues on cross-curricular projects, such as the Physics of Music (Honors and AP Physics Courses), Les instruments (French unit), and Jazz in The Harlem Renaissance (with Humanities Course).
“Tom, we want to thank you for all you've done for all the kids, but especially our two boys. Their experience with you in band has made a huge difference in both their lives. They have developed a love of music that I think will carry through their lives.” (from the parent of two graduates who joined band in high school)